How do you find a copy of your discharge/DD214?
You may be able to get a copy from our office. We maintain all discharges, including those that were previously registered by the Cass County Clerk of Courts.
If we don't have it, there are several places where your discharge/DD214 may have been stored:
- Including the county the Veteran returned to upon discharge
- The North Dakota Department of Veterans Affairs (NDDVA)
- The North Dakota National Guard,
- Other State Department of Veteran Affairs Offices (if the veteran resided in another state after being discharged from the military)
- The National Record Center
- The Defense Personnel Records Information Retrieval System
Include the following information when requesting a copy:
- Veteran’s full name.
- Dates of service (as close as possible)
- Service number and/or Social Security Number
- Veterans Date of Birth
- Branch of Service
We can assist you with locating a copy of your discharge/DD214 for no charge.
Requests for copies of discharge papers may be made by the Veteran or the next of kin of a deceased Veteran which include; a surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother.