Family Services Division

Programs and Services

A.  Intake/Emergency

  • Receives initial child protection reports, provides information and referral services, facilitates emergency out-of-home placement of children, and provides liaison services with foster parents during first week of placement.

B.  Assessments Available

  • Child Abuse/Neglect Assessments - A program that provides an assessment of allegations of child abuse or neglect, and determines a finding and whether the a family needs services. Services may be recommended or required, depending on the family situation.
  • Emergency On-Call Services - A service that permits other agencies to contact a social worker to assist in child welfare matters after office hours and on holidays.
  • Safety Permanency Funds - A service that may provide financial assistance to a family to help prevent the placement of children in out-of-home care. Other payment options for services must not be available to this family.
  • Intensive In-home Services - Service of intensive intervention into families at the time of crisis. The purpose is to alleviate stress and maintain the family unit. These services are provided in the family home, for up to three months.

C.  Family Case Management Services

Mom and Kids with Social Worker
  • Therapeutic Intervention - Case management with families whose children are in out-of-home placement or at imminent risk of out-of-home placement. These families may receive these services involuntarily depending upon the nature of the problem. Responsibility includes case planning and coordination of service provisions.
  • Foster Care Case Management - A process of placing children, who are in the custody of the county, into a type of out of home placement, such as foster or residential care. Provides ongoing services to ensure safety, permanency and well being of these children.

D.  Program and Support Services

  • Child Care Licensing and Registration - A service that permits individuals and groups to provide licensed child care. Licensing requires minimal standards for care and the physical environment. All individuals who care for more than six unrelated individuals must be licensed or registered in North Dakota.
  • Family Foster Care Licensing - A service that recruits, trains and recommends licensing for the care of children in need of out-of-home placement. This includes a home study and assessing the abilities of a family to provide foster care.
  • Parent Aide Services - Parent education, home management, budgeting and supervised visitation services to families in order to prevent out-of-home placement or provide timely reunification of the family.
  • Prime Time Day Care Services - A project to provide financial payment to licensed day care providers for the care of children who are victims of neglect of abuse and/or are at risk out-of-home placement.

How do I report concerns about a child?

Please contact the Intake Unit, (701) 241-5765 or complete the Child Abuse Neglect Form and fax to (701) 241-5775.

What happens after a child abuse report has been submitted?

Please visit the North Dakota Child Protection Program website or read the  brochure for additional information.