Effective Friday March 20th, 2020 - Building access CLOSED to the Public except with a SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT  For details:

Marriage Licenses and Weddings

In Cass County, the Finance office handles the duties of administering marriage licenses and performing wedding solemnizations (ceremonies). The marriage licenses that we issue are good to be used in any county within the State of North Dakota. A marriage license must be obtained first before any marriage ceremony is held in order for the marriage to be legally valid. After obtaining a marriage license a couple must have some sort of ceremony (either religious or civil) with an officiant and two witnesses for the marriage to be legal.

Click Here for information about Marriage Licenses.

Click Here for information about civil wedding solemnizations (ceremonies).

After marriage in order to do a legal name change or prove that you are legally married, you would need to obtain a certified copy of your marriage license. A certified copy is made off of the original marriage license on file with our office. Our office does NOT automatically send out certified copies, they must be requested from our office as there is a charge for certified copies.

Certified copies are $10.00 for the first copy and $5.00 for additional copies ordered at the same time. Certified copies are white rather than tan and have a special stamp and a county seal on the back of them.

To order a certified copy of a marriage license, please call (701)241-5600.

Click here to apply for a Marriage License

Click here to pay for your Marriage License