Michael Montplaisir - County Finance Director
The Cass County Finance Director is an appointed position. The County Finance Director is responsible for all duties assigned to the county auditor and county treasurer by North Dakota Statute.
The county finance director is:
- Chief Financial Officer of the County,
- Elections Administrator,
- Property Tax Administrator, and
- Executive Secretary to the Board of County Commissioners.
As Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the county finance director oversees all fiscal activities of the county. Some of the activities undertaken as CFO include:
- administering the purchase of supplies and goods,
- payment of bills,
- monthly and annual financial reporting,
- bonding for construction projects, and
- preparation of the annual county budget.
As Election Administrator, the finance director administers all state and county elections held in the county. The county holds a primary election on the second Tuesday in June in every even-numbered year. In conjunction with the primary election, the county auditor also administers the city and park district elections for cities within the county. The county holds a general election on the first Tuesday in November of each even-numbered year.
As Property Tax Administrator, the county finance director oversees:
- the maintenance of the property tax system,
- computation of mill levies,
- preparation of property tax bills,
- distribution of taxes collected to the various subdivisions of the county, and
- collection of delinquent taxes.
As the Executive Secretary to the board of county commissioners, the county finance director attests to official actions of the county commission and oversees the preparation of minutes of the county commission meetings and other committee and appointed board meetings.
The duties, as assigned to the county treasurer by statute, include the receipt, management and disbursement of public funds as well as collection, management and distribution of property taxes levied by various units of local government.
In addition, Cass County has appointed the finance office the additional duties of administering marriage licenses and performing wedding solemnizations (ceremonies).
The finance office can provide information on the following subjects:
- How to Pay Property Taxes
- Understanding Your Property Tax Bill
- Understanding Special Assessments
- Property Tax Calendar – When are taxes due?
- Property Tax Relief - Exemptions/Credits
- Delinquent Tax Procedures - Real Estate
- How to Register a Mobile Home
- How to Pay Mobile Home Taxes
- Understanding Your Mobile Home Tax Bill
- Property Tax Calendar - When are taxes due?
- Property Tax Relief – Exemptions/Credits
- Delinquent Tax Procedures – Mobile Home
- How to obtain a Mobile Home Moving Permit
- How do I obtain a marriage license?
- How/where can I have a wedding solemnization (ceremony) done?
- How do I change my name after I get married?