Michael Montplaisir - County Auditor
The Cass County Auditor is an elected position. By Statute, the county auditor is:
- Chief Financial Officer of the County,
- Elections Administrator,
- Property Tax Administrator, and
- Executive Secretary to the Board of County Commissioners.
As Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the county auditor oversees all fiscal activities of the county. Some of the activities undertaken as CFO include:
- administering the purchase of supplies and goods,
- payment of bills,
- monthly and annual financial reporting,
- bonding for construction projects, and
- preparation of the annual county budget.
As Election Administrator, the county auditor administers all state and county elections held in the county. The county holds a primary election on the second Tuesday in June in every even-numbered year. In conjunction with the primary election, the county auditor also administers the city and park district elections for cities within the county. The county holds a general election on the first Tuesday in November of each even-numbered year.
As Property Tax Administrator, the county auditor oversees:
- the maintenance of the property tax system,
- computation of mill levies,
- preparation of property tax bills,
- distribution of taxes collected to the various subdivisions of the county, and
- collection of delinquent taxes.
As the Executive Secretary to the board of county commissioners, the county auditor attests to official actions of the county commission and oversees the preparation of minutes of the county commission meetings and other committee and appointed board meetings.