First Courthouse built in 1874-1883

Cass County was organized in 1873 and Fargo selected as the county seat. Located at the present site of the Northern Pacific Depot. The building was moved to First Avenue South between Seventh and Eighth Streets and used as a YMCA and then a boarding house until it was torn down in 1883.

  The second county courthouse was built on Third Avenue South between Ninth and Tenth Streets.

The estimated cost was $50,000. It burned down in 1903. (1883-1903)

  The Cass County Jail was built directly behind the Cass County Court House at Third Avenue South between Ninth and Tenth Streets. The Court House was built in 1906 and the Jail built in 1913 can be seen behind the courthouse. It was designed to hold 65 inmates. The jail was remodeled in 1975 and expanded (via bunk beds) to double inmate capacity.
  In June 2000, ground was broken for a new jail on Fargo 's South side. The new jail was dedicated in August 2002. In the spring of 2003, it was decided to raze the old jail building.