Dividing Property for Development
Dividing property for purposes of sale or dwelling construction outside the incorporated or extraterritorial jurisdiction of any city in Cass County requires platting and approval of the Cass County Planning Commission and Board of County Commissioners.  Review the Subdivision Ordinance and contact the County Planner or contact the appropriate City if dividing in incorporated limits or extraterritorial jurisdiction of a city.
Zoning/Floodplain Administration
Before any development occurs, contact the appropriate townshipcity, or County Planner to inquire about compliance with zoning and FEMA floodplain regulations. To view the existing Flood Insurance Rate Maps visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA Map Service Center).
Building Permits
Any project in Cass County that involves structurally changing an existing building through remodeling or expansion will normally require a building permit. Permits are also required for substantial electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work even if the work will not involve any structural changes. Even smaller projects such as roofing, siding, replacing windows, and building garden sheds of a certain size may require permits depending on local regulations. Prior to building, contact the appropriate Township or City in which construction will occur. All construction disturbing one or more acres of land is required to file for a Storm Water General Construction Permit from the North Dakota Department of Health. Contact the Division of Water Quality at (701) 328-5210 or visit the Stormwater Program website. If you are moving a mobile home, contact the Tax Equalization Office at 701-241-5616.
Electrical Inspections
All electrical work needs to be installed in accordance with state and national electrical codes and be certified by a North Dakota licensed electrical contractor. Visit the North Dakota State Electrical Board for information on electrical inspections or contact the District Electrical Inspector at 701-400-1549.
Highway Driveway Acces
When creating a new access or modifying an existing access to a County Highway, a permit is required from the Cass County Highway Department. Contact the Fargo NDDOT District Office for new or modified accesses along a State Highway, and the Township or City for township or municipal roads.
  • When creating a new or modifying an existing access to a County Highway is necessary a permit is required from the Cass County Highway Department.
  • If creating a new or modifying an existing access to a State Highway contact the Fargo ND DOT District Office at 503 38th St S, Fargo, ND 58103-1198 - (701) 239-8915 phone - (701) 239-8915 fax - (701) 328-4156 TTY.
  • If creating a new or modifying an existing access to a township or municipal road contact the township or city
Water Sources
Visit the NDSU Extension Service Water Quality page for valuable information pertaining to safe drinking water.
  • State Resources are also available and regulations may apply for new or existing water facilities.  Visit the North Dakota Department of Environmental Health website or call the Division of Municipal Facility at (701) 328-5211 or the Division of Water Quality at (701) 328-5210.
Rural Water
  • Cass Rural Water Users District serves a large portion of rural Cass County and many cities in the County: 131 Maple Street, Box 98, Kindred, ND 58051 - (701) 428-3139 phone - (701) 428-3130 fax.
City Municipal Water
  • Contact the appropriate city if your property is within or near city limits to inquire about possible service.
On-Site Sewage
On-site sewage disposal systems are regulated by the County Sanitarian and the Environmental Health Division of Fargo/Cass Public Health.  More information is available here.
Contact the appropriate Water Resource District to determine and address any drainage concerns in which the property lies.
For additional information or assistance regarding future building please contact the County Planner.