Mission Statement: To enhance the overall quality of life in Cass County through proactive growth management.
The Planning Office has a number of functions including:
- Subdivision administration for unincorporated areas in the County
- Floodplain administration for townships not participating in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
- GIS and technical assistance to Highway Department
- Rural 911 addressing
- Planning and floodplain technical assistance to local governments
- Participation in metro wide planning
The North Dakota Century Code provides the County Commission with the authority to exercise subdivision authority for those properties located outside of the incorporated limits and outside of the inner half of the extraterritorial limits of any incorporated city.
The County Commission appoints a nine member Planning Commission to serve as an advisory board to the County Commission. The County Planner reports to the County Engineer and works in cooperation with the County Planning Commission.