To have a wedding performed by the Cass County Treasurer's office, you have two options:
1. Marriage Ceremony/Solemnization at the Cass County Courthouse
In order to get married at the Cass County Courthouse, you must first obtain your marriage license. After the license has been obtained, you may make an appointment to have the ceremony at the Courthouse. We do not perform marriage ceremonies in the courthouse the same day as you receive your marriage license.
Marriage ceremonies/solemnizations are only performed in the courthouse on Thursday and Friday afternoons between 1:30 pm – 4:00 pm. Ceremonies are scheduled on a first come/first served basis, based on availability, and there may be a one to three week waiting period. The waiting period may be longer during busier times of the year (summer months).
The Cass County Treasurer’s Office will perform the civil ceremony which lasts approximately 5 to 15 minutes. The cost of the wedding ceremony is $30.00.
On the day of the ceremony:
• You must bring all three copies of the marriage license.
• You must bring two people (related or non-related) to sign as witnesses on the marriage license.
• You should arrive at the Treasurer's office, which is located on the main floor of the Cass County Courthouse, at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled wedding ceremony, to allow for time to complete the Marriage License paperwork. We will also collect the ceremony fee and fee for certified copies at this time.
• You must be here at the scheduled time for your ceremony or the ceremony will be cancelled.
• You may bring up to 20 immediate family members or friends to this ceremony.
• You may obtain a certified copy of the marriage license after the ceremony is completed. The fee for this is $10.00. At least one certified copy is required for any name changes or to legally prove marriage. If you need additional certified copies, they are $5.00 each (2 copies = $15.00).
• Payment for ceremony fees and certified copies may be made by cash, check or credit card. Payments made by credit card will incur an additional $3.00 convenience fee.
Cass County Treasurer - Marriage License
2. Marriage Ceremony/Solemnization outside of the courthouse
The second option for residents and non-residents of Cass County is to select a site of your choice and someone from the Cass County Treasurer’s office will come to that location to perform the ceremony. Ceremonies outside of the courthouse are performed any time after 5:00 pm during the week or any time on weekends. Ceremonies may be performed at a local park, hotel, restaurant or personal residence. The cost for an off-site ceremony within the Fargo/West Fargo metro area is $150.00. Ceremonies performed outside of the metro area will have a higher fee based on the number of miles traveled. If our services are needed for the rehearsal, there will be an additional fee of $50.00.
Please call the Marriage License phone number (701)241-5608 to check on available officiants and to book an appointment for your ceremony.
Ceremonies may be performed same day by obtaining the marriage license at the courthouse and having the ceremony performed outside the courthouse after 5:00 pm. Same day ceremonies are subject to officiant availability.