$10 for the first page and $3 for each additional page.
One inch margin on the top, bottom, or side of each page. (If not, an additional $10 fee will be levied). A 4 x 3 ½ inch space must be provided on the top of the first page or bottom of the last page of each instrument. (If not, an additional page charge will be levied). Instruments that are releasing, amending, etc., add an additional $3 for each document number (or book/pg) after the first document number is referenced. For section, township, range legal descriptions, if more than 5 sections of land are listed, add an additional $1 per section. For more information on Recording Fees see NDCC 11-18-05.
DOCUMENT MUST BE LEGIBLE
- Document must be an original or certified copy.
- All dates filled in.
- Adequate county legal description.
- All signatures must be original handwritten
- Acknowledgments for all signatures
- Notary Seal(s) (ND notary seal must be surrounded by a border).
- State filled in.
- County filled in.
- Date of acknowledgement filled in.
- Name(s) of all individuals signing appear in the acknowledgement (as having appeared before notary).
- Expiration date of notary's commission.
- ND notary's place of notarization was in North Dakota (ND Notary's notaries act outside of ND)
PLATS & AUDITOR LOT PLATS must be eRecorded in Cass County. Size requirement for a Subdivision Plat is 22" x 34".
Plats can only be black and white. No shading or color is allowed. Pitch font must be no smaller than size 10.
Subdivision Plat fee for Lots 1-20 is $20; over 20 lots is $50. Auditor Lot Plat fee, see above under Recording Fees.
SURVEYS must be no larger than 8 1/2" x 14". Pitch font must be no smaller than size 10. Must have a full notary acknowledgment of the Surveyor's signature.
DEEDS - ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Statement of full consideration (not required on a deed covering mineral interest only).
- Auditor's transfer stamp and seal (not required on a deed covering mineral interest only). All real estate taxes must be paid before any deed can be recorded.
- Post Office address for Grantee(s).
- Name and address of Drafter of legal description on deed or contract for deed, executed on or after 01/01/2000 that contains a metes and bounds legal description (NDCC 47-19); in the form of "This legal description was prepared by (name ) (address)." or a statement that reads " The legal description was obtained from a previously recorded document".
MORTGAGES - ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Post Office address of the mortgagee(s)
- Post Office address of the Assignee(s) on assignments of mortgages.
FONT SIZE REQUIREMENT:
The North Dakota County Recorders Association (NDCRA) is becoming aware of documents submitted for recording that have a font size too small to read once they are scanned into our recording systems. Also, attachments are being submitted that have been copied over and over again making them illegible. We would like to take this opportunity to inform you that ND County Recorders may no longer accept documents with a font size of 8 or smaller or documents that have attachments that are difficult to read or have font sizes too small to make out, especially after they are scanned and copied. A minimum of a 10 pitch Calibri font must be used on documents for recording. No color photo attachments. Everything converts to black and white when recorded.
N.D.C.C. Chapter 11-18-05.1.a.2 states that "The printed, written or typed words must be considered legible by the recorder before the page will be accepted for recording." and;
N.D.C.C. Chapter 11-18-05.1.a.3 states that "Each real estate instrument must have a legal description considered to be adequate by the recorder before such instrument will be accepted for recording."
Property Records Industry Association (PRIA) Joint Task Force also issued a Standards Committee White Paper in March of 2000 that states "The Task Force supports the overriding principle that any document accepted for recording must be sufficiently legible so that, after it is imaged, a clear, legible copy can be read without magnification and can be reproduced from the image". The Task Force also recommends "use of text no smaller than an equivalent of 10-point size" so the NDCRA is requesting these standards be followed.
Uniform Commercial Code / Central Notice System (UCC/CNS) - The Secretary of State website can be accessed by using centralindex. Fixture filings will be recorded with the Recorder's office with an adequate legal description, debtor name and secured party for the same fees as listed above. National forms will be accepted. It is your responsibility to file the UCC portion with the Secretary of State's website.
North Dakota Recorders Information Network (NDRIN) - A group of North Dakota counties have joined together to extend the application of the 1999 disaster-proofing FEMA grant and provide access to real estate records via the Internet. These records have previously been available only through books and microfilm in the Recorder's Offices in the county courthouses. The service allows users to log onto the web-site to search, view and print records, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from the counties publishing data to the network. Potential customers interested in subscribing to NDRIN can do so on line at NDRIN.