A marriage license must be applied for in person. Applicants do not have to be Cass County residents. Both parties are required to be present and complete the application. To obtain a marriage license you must be 18 years of age. You must know the following information for both parties:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- County of residence
- Social security card (or number if card is not available)
- The names the bride and groom want after marriage (surnames only)
- If previously married, a certified copy of the divorce decree or certified copy of the death certificate which must be kept on file permanently with the application
- Proper identification - (drivers license or other picture ID, AND social security card or number if card is not available)
- $65.00 (check or cash only) is payable at the time of applying
Hours of operation for issuance of marriage licenses:
Monday - Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm excluding holidays.
In the state of North Dakota there is no waiting period after you apply for the license before the marriage may take place. The license must be used within 60 days and may be used anywhere in North Dakota.
Make check payable to the Cass County Treasurer. You may pay by CASH or PERSONAL CHECK only. We currently do not accept credit or debit cards.